Subject: Re: compiling pgp
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/27/1996 11:10:01
Hi Curt, everyone,

> Has anyone got pgp2.6.2 running under NetBSD 1.1 or 1.2_BETA? I
> first tried to compile it with `make netbsd', only to discover that
> it was trying to assemble i386 code when I did this. :-/ So I tried
> the sun4gcc option, which compiles, but gets a premature end of
> file when it tries to decrypt (or decompress?) anything.

I have gotten both 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 to work on my NetBSD Sparc and 3/60.
First of all, your PGP-binary is mostly in working order: if you turn
compression of in your .pgprc you'll find it works completely, and all
the encryption and keymanagment does work.

The only problem is with the compression/decompression routine, that is
a little bit less portable than the rest of PGP, and this gets NetBSD
in trouble although there are no warnings. What you have to do in
both zunip.c and zipup.c is find all the lseek-statements, and make
a cast to (off_t) for the second argument that is passed to the function.
The problem is that NetBSD wants this to be a quad, while a long is being
given. Just look at the manpage for lseek and compare it with the arguments
passed to it in netbsd.

>      #include <unistd.h>
>      off_t lseek(int fildes, off_t offset, int whence)

I have sent a bug-report to pgp-bugs about this, but alas had no reply
to that and it seems the problem is still there in the latest version.
I also added a target to the makefile, sun4netbsd: that is the same as
the sun4gcc, but with and added -DBSD, I think. But I seem to have deleted
the source again for lack of diskspace, or I would just have sent you
a diff :(

Paul Boven, <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>  PE1NUT  QRV 145.575 JO32KF
 "Read some Kerouac,  and it put me on the tracks,  to burn a little
    brighter now"    - Torch song, Clutching at straws, Marillion.