Subject: Re: S4000DX
To: None <prescott@www.uwstout.edu>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/25/1996 14:02:46
> We have aquired 28 workstations that are "sparc" compatible.
> We would like to upgrade to NetBSD, (which is already running
> on alpha and decstations).
>
> The workstations are Solbourne Computer Workstation S4000DX
> the boot rom is version 2.1.  The work stations are currently
> running the old 4.3 Sun OS.

Bzzzt.  The Solbourne workstations are far different than Sun's SPARCstations
and don't run NetBSD.  End of story.

The Solbourne OS/MP 4.1C, while based on SunOS 4.1.3, is also quite different
to accomodate the not-insignificant differences in the Solbourne hardware vis
a vis Sun's.

If you want to try porting NetBSD/SPARC to those Solbournes, well, good luck.
Maybe Warner Losh is out there somewhere and could offer some advice; but I
suspect it would be more like sympathy at this point.  You've been saddled
with dead-end hardware.

	- Greg