Subject: Re: ELC with pc532
To: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/19/1996 09:50:06
David Brownlee <david@mono.org> wrote:

> 	Ok, I've put a NetBSD/sparc 1.1B root filesystem image up
> 	as ftp://ftp.southern.com/netbsd/root.fs.gz
>
> 	Its about 10MB gzipped down to around and has been severely
> 	hacked around but should boot & let you install the OS for
> 	real (ideally on another disk :) It boots fine on my IPX.
>
> 	I noticed you have an ELC - I dont know if NetBSD still has
> 	scsi problems on certain ELC machines, so I've put an OpenBSD
> 	kernel in as 'bsd'.

Well, I had problems moving the DEC RZ55 (I think thats what it is
anyway) to the pc532, so I used my Wren4 instead.  For some reason
the pc532 hangs when it tries to probe the DEC, maybe I'll look
into it later.  The Wren4 has been giving me lots of soft correctable
errors, so I'm taking it out of service, but it did this last job
just fine (provided you ignore all the corrected error messages).

I'll send the boot output when I get the PPP line built and connected,
and the rest of the system unpacked and installed.  I have a bit
of recabling to do on my SCSI busses too.  The ELC did not have any
problems with the /netbsd kernel, but did report that there is a
cache bug and it uncached the trap page I think.  (It's a foggy
memory from late last night, er, early this morning.)

Is there a relativly current binary snapshot, should I use the 1.1
binaries, or just wait a couple of weeks for 1.2 to come out?

Thanks for all your help.  I should have it farther along this weekend,
and hopefully mostly functional with X11 in 2 or three weeks, depending
on my work and my 7 month old daughter's schedule.

Jon Buller