Subject: digest of port-sparc messages since 96/5/30 (part 2)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/12/1996 17:17:20
And here's part 2:

----snip----
From: greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com
	id AA04984; Fri, 31 May 1996 17:18:33 +0500
	id AA21296; Fri, 31 May 96 14:47:53 PDT
	id AA01192; Fri, 31 May 96 14:47:52 PDT
Date: Fri, 31 May 96 14:47:52 PDT
To: kgray@netcom.com
Cc: port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: getting sparc to boot off sd

Kerry Gray <kgray@netcom.com> sez:

   The install doc says I must have a copy of a boot program from SunOS to
   boot from the internal disk.  I don't have SunOS.  Is there a way to make
   it boot from disk, or am I S.O.L., doomed to net-boot for all eternity?

No, if you're booting diskless, then you already have access to /usr/mdec.

Just boot diskless, mount the disk partition as, say, /mnt.  Then

	# cd /usr/mdec
	# ./binstall ffs /mnt
	NNN+P records in
	NNN+P records out
	NNNNN bytes transferred in T.TT seconds (N bytes/sec)
	# reboot

and you should be all set.

Oh, yeah:  Don't forget the rest of the root filesystem, and don't forget
	# cd /mnt/dev; sh MAKEDEV std sd0 sd1 sd2 sd3 st0 cd0 pty0 pty1 ...

before you reboot. :-)

				--*greywolf;
--
"I presume I need no introduction." -- Lestat