Subject: Re: sw0 performance...
To: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org>
From: David Jones <dej@achilles.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/05/1996 08:05:10
> performance to be a little strange.  Some operations are much faster than
> SunOS while others are much slower.  (I am running a Micropolis 1558
> connected to an MT21, so this might have something to do with it, but I have
> nothing to compare the performance against).

Different operations might have different implications for DMA and/or
reselection.

The other big difference: NetBSD has a fixed size buffer cache that is
separate from the VM system.  SunOS merges the VM and buffer cache so the
buffer cache could grow to fill all physical memory.  This might give
SunOS better performance in some applications.