Subject: Installing NetBSD)1.1 from 1 hard drive
To: None <PORT-SPARC@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <formail.TCPBRIDGE.FS3.FAA1.STEVENG%smte@formail.formation.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/29/1996 11:57:21
Hello.  This is in reply to a message asking how to install
NetBSD from CD with only a single harddrive available.  I would
have snipped pieces of the original e^5^16^mail and included it but my
mail program doesn't support that. :(

I installed NetBSD^5^16^1.1 on a SPARCstation 1 from tape using a
single hard disk (2 GB) but the procedure will probably work from
CD.  It relies on booting the workstation with the SunOS
miniroot.  The miniroot loads (I believe) onto the b partition
which is normally used for swapping.  It then leaves you in a
sort^5^16^of^5^16^csh environment.  I did:

1)  Boot miniroot. On the way, it asked about formatting and
partitioning, which I did.

2)  When asked to reboot using newly installed mini^5^16^root, choose
yes.

3)  Create file systems for the partitions.  I used a drive with
SCSI ID 1 to avoid the Sun SCSI^5^16^ID 0 is sd3 problem.  Note that
this will give you a SunOS file^5^16^system, not a NetBSD file^5^16^system.
NetBSD can read the SunOS, but SunOS cannot read the NetBSD.
    newfs /dev/rsd1a  {lots of stuff}
    newfs /dev/rsd1g  {"    "  "    }
    newfs /dev/rsd1h  {"    "  "    }

    I also have a (b) and a (c) partition.  The (b) is my swap
and the (c) maps to my whole drive so I didn't touch them.

    Remember, if your drive is not where NetBSD expected it, sd0,
the fstab file eventually loaded into /mnt/etc/fstab will need
some changing.

4)  Follow the instructions for installing from SunOS since
you're almost running SunOS.  The install_from_sunos.sh script
didn't work for me.  I ended up doing things manually.  :(

4a) mount /dev/sd1a /mnt
    mkdir /mnt/usr
    mkdir /mnt/home
    mkdir /mnt/cdrom
    mount /dev/sd1g /mnt/usr
    mount /dev/sd1h /mnt/home
    cd /mnt/home

4b) I used:  tar ^5^16^xf /dev/rst0 but you would probably use:
** THIS IS TOTAL GUESS WORK.  I DON'T HAVE A CD^5^16^ROM!!!  **
    mount /dev/sr? /mnt/cdrom
    cd /mnt/home
    ls ^5^16^l /mnt/cdrom
    Hope the files listed in the install_from_sunos.sh script
    are there and then ...
    tar ^5^16^xf /mnt/cdrom base.tar comp.tar etc.tar .......
*************************************

5)  You should now have your root partition mounted on /mnt, your
/usr partition mounted on /mnt/usr, and your /home partition
mounted on /mnt/home.  You should have the files listed in the
install_from_sunos.sh script in /mnt/home or some other place on
the disk.  NetBSD^5^16^1.1 doesn't seem to care about /home so that's
a good place to stick them.

6) The gzip program works ok but gtar needs an additional library
that
is not distributed with the SunOS 4.1.1 tape from which I booted.
think it was libdl.s0.1.0 that was missing.  I borrowed a copy
from
another machine; gtar complained about version numbers but ran
sucessfully.  Walk through the install_from_sunos.sh script and
remember, before you reboot, put the netbsd kernel in /mnt.  I
didn't
and can tell you from experience, it won't boot without it.  :(..

7)  I've referenced the install_from_sunos.sh script quite a lot.
It's very useful and can be gotten from the ftp server.

Note:  Your mileage with the above may vary.  My system is mostly
up with the above procedures (more or less.)  Good luck.

Steven Grunza
voice:  (609) 234 - 5020 ext 3101
fax:    (609) 234 - 5242
e-mail: steveng@formail.formation.com