Subject: Re: sd3: not queued (using ccd) Do I have problems?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@gateway.sandelman.ocunix.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/1996 21:38:28
    >> How?  ccd AFAICT has no way to not begin at the beginning of
    >> its component partition, and - at least for those of us stuck
    >> with vendor boot ROMs on Suns (and this _is_ port-sparc) -
    >> partitions must begin on cylinder boundaries.

    Jason> You are only stuck with that limitation on your boot disk.
    Jason> And, I'm pretty sure I've partition disks with SunOS
    Jason> format(8) such that partitions don't fall on cylinder
    Jason> boundaries before ... I could be wrong, but...

  It is possible, no problem. Partitions start at some block number
and go X blocks. One version of BlackHole (a sunos based firewall) had
a bug in the install CD for 1.05Gb drives: the 'f' partition was
wrong. It overlapped.
   You can't do this with *format*, you see. I mistyped while making
the format.dat file :-)