Subject: Suggested Installation
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Yoshua Gilbert <yoshua@eskimo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/1996 11:45:45
Howdy,
I need some help/advice. I recently bought a CD-ROM containing the
sources and binaries for NetBSD (all the ports, looks like the entire
distribution from ftp.netbsd.org). However I am having trouble installing
it. The doc: INSTALL, suggests using NFS, Tape, or ftp. My problem ?, I
don't have another machine to install from, this eliminates the NFS and
ftp method. The directions don't describe the tape method at all (except
how to get the disk sets on the tape), or if it did I musta overlooked
it (don't think I did, but it's possible). The last method suggested was
installing from SunOS, however this requires a second hard drive (which I
don't have, nor do I have a tape drive for that matter).
Let me describe my system, and maybe one of you guys could help me out.
Valinor is a Sun SPARCstation 2 with the weitek powerup upgrade
It has 64 megs of RAM
1 1 gig hard drive (external)
1 floppy drive
1 Sun CDROM (external)
a bwtwo sbus framebuffer (hope to get a GX one of these days)
Valinor is running SunOS 4.1.4 (I can also load Solaris 2.3 if need be)
I currently don't have anything installed other than what comes off the
SunOS 4.1.4 CD.

If you can suggest a method that would allow me to install NetBSD, I
would be eternally grateful (or to my eventual demise depending on your
religious beliefs ;-).

				Yoshua Gilbert

P.S.	If I really have to I could probably squeeze my pocket book and
        buy a second hard drive to use the SunOS installation method, but
        I'd really rather use the money for other things (like food).