Subject: Re: VME Ethernet with NetBSD/sparc 1.1
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/24/1996 19:50:08
On February 24, you wrote:
> 	Would his Sun4/110 CPU be able to DMA if it were put in a 12
> slot 3/260 chassy?  I suppose a polled IO ethernet would stink.

  No...the limitation is in the VME implementation on the 4/100 cpu
board.  The Sun 3-slot chassis is pretty ordinary; I've run all sorts
of stuff in them...mostly stuff that Sun swears can't possibly
work...for example, there's a 4/400+32mb board+scsi in a 4/110 chassis
running happily about three feet from me...no ill effects on it's
I/O.

  With Sun VME gear, the general rule is...pretty much anything will
work in pretty much any chassis, with the exception of the old
Sun2/160 VME backplane which only bussed P2 for like two or three
slots.

                            -Dave McGuire
                             Systems Engineer
                             Digital Express Group, Incorporated