Subject: Re: 4/110
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/18/1996 20:16:00
At 08:49 AM 2/18/96 -0500, Chris wrote:
>I run OpenBSD on a 4/110 with pfour+bwtwo, sw, etc...
>I run sw with DMA enabled because it's too slow otherwise and
>the occasional data corruption isn't too bad (It comes in the form

        I have tested the same machine (4/110 w/8MB, bwtwo P4 frame buffer)
with OpenBSD (and originally, NetBSD before I found out that it doesn't
support my frame buffer).  The data corruption with DMA enabled is
intolerable (I don't get this under SunOS 4.1.3_U1) and so is the
performance with DMA disabled.  Everybody tells me how bad SunOS is, but at
least it works...

        I am not putting down the NetBSD project because one day I might
have a Sun machine which it runs properly on, but for the time being, SunOS
is my only way to go.

>and fsck handles things fine.  The pfour
>+bwtwo is a different story.  The pfour code works fine with
>other combinations but apparently something neds a fix in the combination
>of pfour+bwtwo (sbus bwtwo works for instance).  For the lack of a decent

        Yes, bwtwo (P4) support is also poor as I've been told by the people
who wrote the drives in OpenBSD/sparc.

Mike.

Mike Frisch                             Email: mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org
Northstar Technologies                 WWW: http://www.io.org/~mfrisch
Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA                      Compuserve: 76620,2534