Subject: Re: P4 frame buffer support, et al.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/18/1996 20:32:30
>On Thu, 15 Feb 1996 14:42:48 -0500 (EST)
> Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > 	Can somebody tell me where the P4 frame buffer support is at in
> > NetBSD/sparc?  I am running a Sun 4/110 (SUN4 architecture) with a bwtwo
> > mono frame buffer.  Last time I tried NetBSD, it did not have support for
> > this fb.
>
>Personally, I haven't gotten around to hacking on this yet.  OpenBSD does
>have some support for pfour, but I didn't particularly like the
>autoconfiguration model used (like, what was the point of creating a
>whole new bus class?).  Also, I had heard that it just didn't work with
>some pfour framebuffers.

[snip]

>Jason R. Thorpe                                       thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
>NASA Ames Research Center                               Home: 408.866.1912
>NAS: M/S 258-6                                          Work: 415.604.0935
>Moffett Field, CA 94035                                Pager: 415.428.6939

Hello...

I have a Sun 4/110 with a cgfour in it, and while I don't know just a
whole lot about Sun hardware, or kernel hacking, I have been able to
abuse the pfour into working with NetBSD.  The reason was that I went
on and mangled the bwtwo driver and the cgfour driver into working.
X11R6 seems to be happy opening both a bwtwo and a cgfour at the same
time, and having the pfour bus present made it a whole lot simpler to
have just one bwtwo driver that deals with "normal" bwtwos and the
bwtwo side of the cgfour at the same time.  The diffs to all this can
be found at my site:

	ftp://anduin.eldar.org/pub/NetBSD/frame_buf.tar.gz

The patches are based on a sup a couple of weeks old [I'v been out of
town].

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org