Subject: Re: P4 frame buffer support, et al.
To: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.lcs.mit.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/15/1996 18:43:00
On Thu, 15 Feb 1996 14:42:48 -0500 (EST)
 Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

 > 	Can somebody tell me where the P4 frame buffer support is at in
 > NetBSD/sparc?  I am running a Sun 4/110 (SUN4 architecture) with a bwtwo
 > mono frame buffer.  Last time I tried NetBSD, it did not have support for
 > this fb.

Personally, I haven't gotten around to hacking on this yet.  OpenBSD does
have some support for pfour, but I didn't particularly like the
autoconfiguration model used (like, what was the point of creating a
whole new bus class?).  Also, I had heard that it just didn't work with
some pfour framebuffers.

 > 	Also, has the "sw" SCSI driver been fixed?  Last time I tried
 > this, performance was worse than lousy.

I haven't hacked on it lately ... there are a couple of things I want to
do to the si/sw driver, but it's been low on my priority list.
Basically, if you're willing, you can run the "sw" in DMA mode, but I've
had some reports of data corruption happening occasionally.  The DMA
controller sometimes encounters a bus error, and I haven't figured out
the cause, yet.  Note, when I wrote the "sw" DMA code, I was basically
guessing.  Hey, it kind of works... :-)