Subject: Re: State of the Universe (Was: Re: SPARCstation 1 and Archive Viper 150)
To: Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
From: James Graham - Systems Anarchist <jgraham@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/15/1996 10:13:44
Bert Driehuis sez:
/*
[Who said _this_, though?]:
 * >All of the above are solidly supported by SunOS 4.1.4.  I don't know how many
 * >of you folks are running with a SPARC box at home, but I absolutely,
 * >positively can't run an OS at home that I can't do reliable backups for (and
 * >reliable restores as well).

I must concur.  My NetBSD/sparc 1+ can't do JACK with a tape drive.

Where the _hell_ is the st support?  And a properly working 'mt'?
They've been missing WAY too long!  I want to be able to back my
machine up to a LOCAL tape drive (some of us can't afford more than one
machine -- should we be punished?).

 * I usually make backups to my PC running BSD/OS 2.0.1 (for hysterical
 * reasons). My Tandberg TDC-3600 hasn't failed me once. In fact, when my SCSI
 * bus on the PC is screwy (it's been so lately), I move it to the NetBSD
 * Sparc and just backup my BSD/OS box to my Sparc.

As I said, some of us can't afford more than one machine!

 * >(Wishing SCSI expert Matt Jacob hadn't been driven away from the project ... )
 *
 * This seems to happen to all the projects. I hate it when this happens...

Wishing that said SCSI expert hadn't been driven away BEFORE he had the
chance to implement the st code...

 *
 * ------
 * Bert Driehuis                 God, grant me the serenity to accept the things
 * driehuis@playbeing.org        I can't change, courage to change the things I
 *                               can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

"Or the wisdom to bury the bodies of the people I had to kill because
they PISSED ME OFF!"  -- unknown

 *
 *
 */

				--*greywolf;
--
Have A Nice Day.  (Offer void where taxed or prohibited.)