Subject: Re: SPARCstation 1 and Archive Viper 150
To: None <formail.TCPBRIDGE.FS3.FAA1.STEVENG%smte@formail.formation.com>
From: None <neil@domino.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/11/1996 15:26:03
On Fri Feb 9 18:38:27 1996
 formail.TCPBRIDGE.FS3.FAA1.STEVENG%smte@formail.formation.com wrote:

>   I have a SPARCstation 1 with an HP C2490A hard drive (SCSI
> ID 1) and an Archive Viper 150 QIC drive (SCSI ID 4).  I was
> able to install the NetBSD-1.1 SPARC binaries using the Sun
> mini-root.  The system boots fine and runs NetBSD ok.
>
> I now want to install the rest of the system (source files,
> X11, etc.) from QIC tape but I keep getting errors accessing
> the tape drive.  This is the same tape drive from which I
> originally installed.  Note:  putting the original tape back
> in the drive also failed so it's not the tape.

Forget it. I can't get a tape drive to work reliably on the sparc port.
DAT dies miserably, an old Sun Viper dies, an Exabtye dies too.

I can get the viper to work but it is very delicate and I'm not about
 to use it for reliable backups...

Neil
--
--  neil@domino.org                     Domino: In the glow of the night.  --