Subject: Netscape v2.0 (SunOS 4.1.3_U1) version
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <patton@sysnet.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/07/1996 22:41:19
Netbsd v1.1 (sparc) ran Netscape v1.12 (SunOS emul) ok.  Tended to lock
up (well not respond to keyboard/mouse events) after playing sounds and
what not but I think I recall seeing this as a defined 'bug'.  I tried
in vain to run v2.0 and got a core dump.  Apparently, the new release
requires ld.so to exist in /usr/lib which it does not, at least on
NetBSD sparc stations.  I made a symlink to /usr/libexec/ld.so but ran
into a more serious problem.  Netscape dumped saying a system function
call (stime) wasn't implemented.  I don't have the ktrace output handy
at the moment but can provide it if asked.

Does anyone know how to get this working?  Aside from using Mosaic
(with native compilation, of course) am I out of options?  FWIW, v2.0
didn't seem very happy at all even on a true SunOS 4.1.3 (note, NOT
update 1) machine.

P.S. I have seen amazingly long delays in name resolution via dns when
using the dns versions of the Netscape browser.  Is Netscape doing
something unusual in their SunOS versions such that it has a difficult
time talking to bind 4.9.2 resolvers running under SunOS and rebuilt
shared C libraries?