Subject: Re: scsi device configuration
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Stefan Monnier <stefan.monnier@lia.di.epfl.ch>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/04/1996 19:54:51
>  > Wouldn't it be possible to have /dev/sdXX be links to /dev/scsi/cXtXdXsX
>  > or somesuch ?
> Sure, it would be possible, but that method is ... sort of ugly and
> brings into question "Just who makes those symlinks?"

No idea!
Not that I care anyway: tho whole point would be to get rid of /dev/sdXX,
but with a little bit of compatibility.

Actually I guess the link could be done by the kernel itself (instead of
internally mapping the /dev/sd0a to scsi-id 3, partition 1 at boot time,
it could create a link on the file-system at the very same time and then forget
about that mapping).

>  > Of course, dropping that hardcoded root drive (and swap drvies) would be good
>  > too.
> Huh?  I'm not quite sure what you're saying here...

I'm talking about having to reompile the kernel when you want to add a second
swap drive, or the (supposed) inability of the normal kernel to mount anything
else than /dev/sd0a on /. The root drive should be the same as the boot drive
rather than being hardcoded in the kernel.

	Stefan