Subject: Re: configuring the floppy device on SS1 (clone)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/09/1995 10:29:10
On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Iain Hibbert wrote:

> further to this, I was asked if the drive was connected, and it does seem to
> be - I've had a fiddle around with the wires and they seem firm enough.
> Plus, `test-floppy' and `eject' work from the PROM monitor so it seems ok
> hardware-wise.  I'm recompiling a kernel with fdc_debug set to 2 just now, so
> will try that tomorrow..

hey, its me again..  still no luck with the floppy drive, now though I
get a bit more information when booting..

fdc0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7200000[version cmd] pri 11, softpri 4: chip 82077
fdprobe: 2 stati: 70 0

this last message is generated by the fdmatch function in arch/sparc/dev/fd.c
and I guess that the drive is not configured because of the 70 being wrong in
some way.. immediately after that is printed, the following test fails:

        if (n != 2 || (fdc->sc_status[0] & 0xf8) != 0x20)
                return 0;

n is 2, and sc_status[0] seems to be 0x70, but I don't know what this
test means - anybody help there?

the only thing that happens after that in the function is that the drive
motor is turned off.  My drive never seems to be turned on during a boot
though (makes no noise), so maybe something else is different?  I'm not
sure how to investigate further, is it possible to do some poking around
with bit twiddling from the PROM monitor?

]ain