Subject: Re: Netbooting 4/110?
To: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/22/1995 08:34:16
On Tue, 21 Nov 1995, Mike Frisch wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 1995, Peter Svensson wrote:
>
> > I had two problems. First, tftpd user som other directory-setting by
> > default than sunos does. THis was solved by a few sym-links in /tftpboot.
>
> 	According to the NetBSD/sparc docs, it needs the boot files in
> "tftpboot" (which is where my files are).  What are the other directories
> required?

Some tftpdaemons (the correct ones imho) chroot to /tftpboot. Since the
clients request /tftpboot/AABBCCDD.SUN4C the total path on the server
becomes /tftpboot/tftpboot/AABBCCDD.SUN4C. I put in a symlink:
  cd /tftpboot ; ln -s . tftpboot

> > The second problem was that NetBSD didn't respond properly to rarp
> > requests, so I had to put in a static entry in the arp cache.
>
> 	Yes, I do have this setup.  People have told me that for tftp to
> be invoked, it has already resolved the IP.

That may be so, but I'm not so certain. I would recommend running:
  "tcpdump -s 400"
on the ethernet interface to find out what is wrong. Tcpdump prints all
the packets matching a given set of rules. The dafault rule is to print
everything, which is ok if there is no other traffic on the ethernet.

Have you tried tftp:ing the files manually? There should be a program
called "tftp" that allows you to test the tftpd.

Peter