Subject: Curious time stop.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/20/1995 14:11:34
	I'm having a problem on a Sun4/260 running the current NetBSD
in which time (for some reason) will stop.  I usually notice this when
a subtle change in the behaviour of twm occurs --- grabbing a window's
title bar suddenly starts grabbing the middle of the window.  The
system continues to run, but there are several noticable side effects:

- date shows time stands still
- time that 'tf' (popular mud client) displays halts at a particular
  time
- lag during disk access increases.  Due to problems about to be fixed
  on the 'si' driver, the Sun4/260 is doing polled SCSI I/O... rather
  badly.  Anyways... disk usage creates large amounts of lag.  This
  lag is vastly greater when this 'stopped time' condition occurs.
- halt and reboot don't work.  They never kill off all the processes
  (I get a prompt in the shell where I type 'halt' eventually) and the
  machine does not reboot.  Upon reset, the machine goes through an
  fsck.

	One thing that Jason suggested is that a battery backed up
clock might be bad.  However, when I turn the machine off and then
back on, the time is still correct... which would tend to indicate
that the battery clock is OK.

This may be too narrow a forum to post this if it's a hardware
failure, but I'm hoping that the fix is simpler.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |