Subject: Problem booting sparc1 over the net into netbsd 1.1
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Karl Hakimian <hakimian@eecs.wsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/17/1995 08:31:08
Hi,

I am having some trouble booting my sparc 1 off the network.

System:
Sparc 1 8Megs ram 80Meg SCSI hard drive.
Using ttya as the console.
Trying to boot netbsd-1.1

Boot server:
Linux box
The netbsd root is on the linux box and I have unpacked base.tar.gz (I
have also unpacked etc.tar.gz). The netbsd kernel is copied into the
sparc's root partition.

When I boot the sparc it successfully gets its IP from the linux box. It
then successfully loads a boot kernel from the linux box using tftp. It
then successfully gets its root and swap definitions from the linux box
using a boot params request. It even successfully mounts its root over
nfs and loads the kernel, tells me about all my devices and seems to
startup init.

This is where things start to go wrong. I appear to get some error
messages but I can't tell what they are because at this point everything
that is sent to the console gets cut off after the first two characters.

Is there something special I need to do to use ttya as a console? Did I
miss something in the docs about setting things up? Any suggestions on
things to try.

--
Karl Hakimian
hakimian@eecs.wsu.edu