Subject: Re: OK, so netscape 2.0 beta 2 breaks SUNOS_COMPAT. What now?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David S. Miller <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/10/1995 19:44:03
   Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 14:33:10 -0800
   From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>

   So Neil and Matthew confirmed that netscape 2.0beta2 breaks SUNOS_COMPAT even
   on -current.  Sigh.

 [ ... ]

   I'm willing to put some sweat into it, if I only knew where to start.  All
   "kdump" tells us is that it croaks, which I already knew.  :-)

One thing you could do is the following.  Take a look at where the
signal posting happens in the kernel, specifically, look in
sys/arch/sparc/sparc/trap.c for the illegal instruction trap
processing.  In this code insert some printk()'s to show where the pc
is when the SIGILL is detected, plus whatever else you think is
useful.

Once you have the pc at SIGILL time, you can go back to SunOS and have
adb dump out the instructions and symbols around where netscape
crashes.  If the pc is in the stack area, this could cause some
problems as it could be dyeing in shared library code (I doubt this)
or a signal trampoline (ugh, actually this is in libc so it would be
in the stack area).

Regardless, the above should get _some_ answers as to what is going
on.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@caip.rutgers.edu