Subject: Re: install.sh fails for 1.1 alpha
To: None <greywolf@captech.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@anarres.mame.mu.oz.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/10/1995 11:38:35
> How is it that the primary interface name and the host name don't match?
> I ran into that here recently while trying to find a missing machine and
> when I discovered that the "missing" machine was still missing, and the
> interface name and the hostname didn't match, I was pretty pissed off.

I know of several systems where the "primary interface name" is a ppp
link to the rest of the world. The ethernet interface is very much a
secondary thing, as far as anything that cares (mail, dns, etc from
internet) is concerned, yet that's what gets the hostname because the
ppp isn't up when booting.

It can't be a very uncommon situation, especially amongst the NetBSD
hobbyists.

--
Dan.