Subject: Re: install.sh fails for 1.1 alpha
To: Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/09/1995 13:51:50
On Thu, 9 Nov 1995 16:39:02 -0500 (EST)
 Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com> wrote:

 > Look at the install programs for Linux and FreeBSD.  They are far
 > simpler than install.sh.  I'm not knocking your work, just making
 > observations.

Well, having never used either (since I don't _have_ a PC), I had no way
to model my program after them.  Well, I guess I could always RTFS, but I
sort of needed something _soon_ :-)  Note the comment (actually, an
artifact from cgd's i386 install.sh from long ago) regarding "a perfect
world".

 > The HP-UX, SunOS, and especially the Solaris installation processes are
 > far simpler for those "non-gurus" to install.

Uh oh ... someone who likes Jumpstart :-)

 > Please don't label the above comments as anything other than what they are,
 > an attempt to put a user-freindly spin on the first thing that a NetBSD
 > new-user will see.  I very much support the NetBSD effort.

Yah ... I can appreciate your perspective.