Subject: Re: install.sh fails for 1.1 alpha
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/09/1995 16:39:02

>  > I figured that too.  I guess my ultimate point was that the install script
>  > really requires that it be run by people like us that have been installing
>  > unix systems since 4BSD started.
>
> I beg to differ.  It merely shows an error in the installation's root
> fs.  There's absolutely no reason why a novice couldn't use this
> installation script along with the proper documentation (release notes).

Look at the install programs for Linux and FreeBSD.  They are far
simpler than install.sh.  I'm not knocking your work, just making
observations.

>  > Again, I think that merely adding the verbage "like /usr" would go
>  > a log way to make it clearer.  I wasn't sure whether I should add /usr
>  > during this step or maybe somewhere later in the install process.
>
> I attempted to model the "instructions" after those that I've encountered
> when installing OSs such as HP-UX, SunOS, and Dynix/ptx.

The HP-UX, SunOS, and especially the Solaris installation processes are
far simpler for those "non-gurus" to install.

Please don't label the above comments as anything other than what they are,
an attempt to put a user-freindly spin on the first thing that a NetBSD
new-user will see.  I very much support the NetBSD effort.

robin