Subject: Re: install.sh fails for 1.1 alpha
To: Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/09/1995 13:27:11
On Thu, 9 Nov 1995 15:54:40 -0500 (EST)
 Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com> wrote:

 > I figured that too.  I guess my ultimate point was that the install script
 > really requires that it be run by people like us that have been installing
 > unix systems since 4BSD started.

I beg to differ.  It merely shows an error in the installation's root
fs.  There's absolutely no reason why a novice couldn't use this
installation script along with the proper documentation (release notes).

 > Again, I think that merely adding the verbage "like /usr" would go
 > a log way to make it clearer.  I wasn't sure whether I should add /usr
 > during this step or maybe somewhere later in the install process.

I attempted to model the "instructions" after those that I've encountered
when installing OSs such as HP-UX, SunOS, and Dynix/ptx.

This, however, does not mean that they couldn't stand some improvement.
However, it's unlikely that they'll change much (at least for the hp300
port's install.sh) for 1.1.