Subject: Re: Best way to load up NetBSD on 4/100
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/05/1995 22:10:48
> I just picked up a 4/100 card for my 3/260.  I don't have SunOS for
> the sparc, but I do have it for the Sun3.  What's the best way to
> install NetBSD/sparc?

Best, I don't know.  The way I'd go about it is to take the disk you
will eventually run NetBSD/sparc off of, put a SunOS label on it (by
hand with dd if necessary), newfs under NetBSD/sun3, extract a SPARC
snapshot onto it, set up enough of a netboot to load the kernel, then

- connect the disk
- tell the rom to boot from the net
- tell the net boot block root is on nfs
- boot netbsd with -as
- tell netbsd root is on disk

Then, once you're up single-user, run installboot to put SPARC boot
blocks on the disk.  You should then be able to reboot from the disk
and be functional.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu