Subject: Re: statd/lockd
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/02/1995 00:36:31
> rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org (Rob Healey)  wrote:
>  > 	I've been whining for well over a year on this point and noone thinks
>  > 	it important enough to work on in ANY of the free OS's... B^(.
>
> Maybe it's not the case that "noone thinks it important enough"... Maybe
>
> a) no one knows what the issues are.
> b) everyone knows what the issues are and are therefore afraid to open the can.
> c) no one has the time.
>
> Why don't you look into it?  I mean, this is a volunteer effort. People
> only work on what they *want* to work on.  I certainly have no interest
> in network file locking so I'm not about to start to work on it.

	I have. It isn't worth mine, or anybody elses, time by the sound
	of things.

> Stop whining, start coding.

	Don't need to, I have access to 3 commercial OS's doing server work
	that already do it well enough to support applications requiring it.
	The commercial OS's also best the free OS's in NFS performance
	as well. 2 of them cheat by using 4 or more CPU's but that's a
	seperate issue...
	NOTE: My statement was WELL ENOUGH, not PERFECT support. That's
		why I mentioned the "fake it" part in my original post.
		One person thought I meant it should deliberately destroy
		data no matter what.

	The original poster asked if there were any reasons that SunOS 4.1.x
	would still be needed and I pointed out that the free OS's don't
	to NFS NLM. I've had 5 businesses reject using free OS's due to
	this fact so the initial poster might be impacted in the same way.

		-Rob