Subject: Re: Weitek chips
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@demon.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/16/1995 09:45:16

> Like a champ.
>
> > And is there a performance boost?
>
> You betcha.

Excellent!

> > Does NetBSD detect it?
>
> Nothing to detect.
>
> It's reported as
>
> cpu0 at mainbus0: SUNW,Sun 4/75 (W8601/8701 or MB86903 @ 40 MHz, on-chip FPU)
> cpu0: trap page uncached
> cpu: 65536 byte write-through, 32 bytes/line, hw flush cache enabled
>
> I would suspect there's no way to know it's in there, much less the internal
> clock doubling.

Cool.

> You can get them for $750 US now.  I highly recommend it if you want to keep
> the old boxes around.  In my (work) environment, I suffer from the "hand me
> down clothes" syndrome (I'm the only live human in my main group that I work
> for half-time who doesn't have a SPARCstation 20, and the other 5's/10's/20's
> are used for Real Work, so I couldn't have one of those anyway even if I
> wanted to run SunOS instead).  So I have to scrounge what I can get.  Until
> a sun4m port is forthcoming (getting NetBSD to go on a SPARCstation LX or a 5
> first would probably be a good candidate, as those are the next likely models
> to be available to anyone in a similar "hand me down clothes" environment),
> this seems like a fairly reasonable setup for now.  I'm chuffed  :-)

yeah, Hamcom do them in Europe, I think I'll save my pennies :-)
As for keeping the IPX, Well I hate PC's and the X rocks on the IPX, it's just
a tad slower, I'd rather have the sparc than a PC any day of the week. I'd love
to see an LX run NetBSD, hell I'd really love to see a Sparc 20 run NetBSD
:-)

IPX's are becoming quite easy to lay your hands on at the mo in the UK,
lots of places are getting rid of them for more powerful kit, I'm always on
the lookout, not for IPX's but for the kit that usually comes with them :)
It is amazing what you can pickup. I wouldn't mind a Sparc 2 as well of
course :-)

Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae.                                            Demon Internet
neil@demon.net