Subject: Re: boot without init.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/10/1995 13:37:19
[greywolf suggested a "-i path-to-init" option to the bootloader]
[cgd replied]
>> actually, it would be even easier to give '-i" to the kernel, and
>> have the kernel [ask] for init's name itself...

That's what I would tend to do, if only because I suspect at least some
versions of the ROMs don't like to pass lots of cruft, but I believe
they all can manage a few one-letter flags.  (I'm talking about the ROM
here, not the bootblock...though for people who want to stick with
SunOS bootblocks, that could matter too.)

> Well, there is that, but I figure that in that case one would use -i
> -a as args to /netbsd (the '-a' meaning "ask", the '-i' meaning "use
> alternate init").

Perhaps.  But really, there are only two uses for this I can see: (1)
disaster recovery and (2) debugging alternative versions of init.  In
neither case is the difference between the two important (that
difference being mainly, as I see it, just that the kernel doesn't
block at a prompt while coming up).  Hence, I would go with the
simplest and easiest to implement, which is to just add another
one-letter flag to the existing structure.

Besides, I don't see any significant difference between stopping at the
bootblock's prompt and typing stuff versus stopping at the kernel's
prompt and typing stuff. :-)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu