Subject: Re: boot without init.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/07/1995 07:13:39
> Anyhow, booting into single-user _requires_ init.  [...]

> I think the best you can do at this point is boot the machine
> diskless (with an extremely minimal root filesystem) and copy a new
> init onto the disk...

The original message didn't make it clear to me whether there was no
init on-disk or whether it just wasn't in /sbin/init.  If the latter,
isn't there some boot option that makes the kernel prompt for the name
to exec as init?  I'm certain I've seen such an option, though I'm not
certain it was for NetBSD.  (Think of it as a good reason to keep a
couple of old init binaries around, much as I hope you already do with
/netbsd.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu