Subject: Re: boot without init.
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/06/1995 12:21:31
On Fri, 6 Oct 1995 12:04:06 -0400
 David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca> wrote:

 > 	It does not.  It seems that maybe ufsboot is at fault here?  I
 > havn't recompiled and reinstalled it since I got the first version
 > that worked with my hardware.  Anyways... I was able to net
 > boot... but that ability will disappear in a week.

Sorry, Dave (Gilbert :-), I meant to repond to your first post, but ...
EBUSY.

Anyhow, booting into single-user _requires_ init.  In fact, all "run
levels" (don't hit me) are enforced by init.  With no init, well...

I think the best you can do at this point is boot the machine diskless
(with an extremely minimal root filesystem) and copy a new init onto the
disk...