Subject: IPC/IPX serial console driver
To: (NetBSD/sparc Maillist) <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/02/1995 20:12:13
	I'm trying to get an IPC up using a serial console.
	I've built a HD on an SS2, and popped it into the IPC, and tried
	to boot -s.

	It gets as far as the first two character of 'Enter path for shell'
	and hangs - I can type away & see what I'm typing, but the machine
	sends nothing back to me!

	I've set input-device & output-device in the nvram to ttya, tried
	all the ttya- settings available, but nothing.

	I dont have a monitor to try hooking up to the fb (I'm guessing it
	might be sending something out there - but everything up to that
	comes out of the serial line ok...)

	Its boot rom version 1.6, NetBSD bootblocks, -current from saturday,
	and the same thing happened on an earlier version on an IPX (but I
	didnt worry about that at the time as the IPX was only being used for
	a quick test).

	btw: The IPC & IPX have the bizarre mini din serial plug on the
	back - the same as on SGI boxen...

	Umm - help! :)

		David/abs

 D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME) +44 171 477 8186  {post,host}master  (abs)
Network Analyst, UCS, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
        <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.org >>>