Subject: A new user's comments, part 3
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/02/1995 12:16:25
Okay, a little more progress yet.  I added an entry for my Maxtor to the rogue
table, as suggested, and that works fine.  However, several things still
aren't working:

 -- My SunOS XEmacs executable doesn't come up.  Presumably I just have to
    rebuild it.

 -- More seriously, I still can't run my Franz Allegro Common Lisp
    applications.  I tried starting one with `ktrace', and get:

       ktrace: exec of '/b1/Worlds/sunos-refine-4-0' failed: Cannot allocate memory

    Does this just mean the executable is too big?  It's 16MB -- tiny, by my
    standards!  I have some -- "worlds" in Lisp parlance -- over 60MB.

 -- And now the most puzzling thing -- my SLIP problem.  As I mentioned
    previously, I copied in the SLIP configuration files I had been using
    under SunOS.  When I try to start SLIP, it dials the phone and appears to
    log in, but then exits, with the log message:

       ... login failed: exit status 256 from /etc/sliphome/slip.login

    Now the odd thing about this is that `/etc/sliphome/slip.login', an `sh'
    script, has a number of `exit' commands with status in the range 0 through
    11, but no `exit 256'.  Anyone have a clue about this?

 -- When I try to add a second swap partition I get:

       swapon: /dev/sd3b: device not configured

    I don't see any hint in the config file examples as to what I might have
    to do to make this work.

Oh yes, one more tidbit:

   Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 09:35:20 -0400
   From: "Charles M. Hannum" <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>

	  Fortunately, this didn't get in my way too badly -- it
	  did push one of my other drives up to `sd10', after which I was not able
	  to mount it (`mount', oddly, complained that the directory I was trying to
	  mount on did not exist, when it clearly did) --

   Are you sure it wasn't complaining because the device node in /dev
   didn't exist?

Heh, well, you're right, but the error message from `mount' was:

   /dev/sd10c on /u2: No such file or directory

Separate error messages for the device node and the mount point would be
nice.

-- Thanks again, everyone, for all the help.

-- Scott