Subject: Re: advantages of current over 1.0?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, benji@haven.boston.ma.us>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/02/1995 10:46:12
> I'm currently running NetBSD 1.0 on my SparcStation 1. What, if any, would be
> the advantages of upgrading to current?

There are several, but the main issue is whether you want to cope with the
hassle to obtain them.

The main improvements in the sparc-port are:

	- large efficiency improvement in the (MD) VM code and better
	  cache handling (esp. when using shared libraries).

	- use of MI SCSI subsystem, allowing a wider range of devices
	  to be used. (CAVEAT: there are combinations SCSI devices which
	  are known not to work with the -current driver for the SCSI
	  controller on a SS1).

A snapshot of NetBSD/sparc as of about a month ago is available at sun-lamp.

-pk