Subject: Re: A new user's comments
To: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/01/1995 08:07:25
On Thu, 1 Jun 95 00:23:42 PDT
 "Scott L. Burson" <gyro@zeta-soft.com> wrote:

 >     (0->3, 1->1, 2->2, 3->0) or direct mappings.  As it was, I used the
 >     `id3_scsi' kernel and wound up with 0->3, 1->0, 2->1, 3->2 which was
 >     unexpected to say the least.

I thought this was mentioned somehow/somewhere in the installation
notes...

 >     features of the SunOS version: (1) it knows when a filesystem has been
 >     synced since its last write, so that `fsck'ing isn't necessary, and (2) it
 >     works on all disks simultaneously, checking one filesystem from each disk
 >     at a time.

NetBSD-current understands fs_clean.  As for checking them all at once,
just set the `fsck pass' field in /etc/fstab to the same for each
filesystem you wish to check in `parallel'...I have my `/' on pass 1,
everything else on pass 2.

 >  -- The installation instructions say nothing about `pwd_mkdb'!  I had to do
 >     some sleuthing to find this sucker.  The instructions should really say
 >     specifically how to install one's SunOS `passwd' file:

Actually, you could `vipw' and then :r your SunOS password file into the
temp that's created for you, fix the fields, save it, and it will DTRT
for you.  SunOS has `vipw' as well...

 >  -- To run many SunOS executables, it is necessary to
 >
 >       # ld -s /usr/libexec/ld.so /usr/lib
 >
 >     At least, I guess this is the right thing to do -- it seems to work.

I hope you meant `ln -s'...In any case, SunOS binary compatibility works
quite well for me .. But _I_ thought you needed the SunOS ld.so, copied
into NetBSD's /usr/lib...I didn't think using NetBSD's for SunOS binaries
even worked at all!  In any case:

% man compat_sunos

This procedure works well enough for me to run SunOS Wordperfect.

 >  -- Q: What is the command, corresponding to `pstat -s', to see how much swap
 >     space is available?

basalt (thorpej) ~ 299% pstat -s
Device      1024-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/sd0b         65408    18852    46556    29%    Interleaved

I guess it's `pstat -s' :-)

 > NetBSD.  I tried to start my SunOS X11R5, but `xinit' got a bad system call

You can use the ktrace facility to find out which system call it tried to
use.  Peer though the system call switch table and determine of it's
there...if not, you can opt to write the appropriate system call.

 > error.  Okay, I *can* rebuild X11R5, though I don't relish the thought, but I
 > also have some executables I can't rebuild, notably Franz Allegro Common Lisp
 > (which says "Can't allocate memory" when I try to run it).  And so I have some
 > questions.  What is the degree of commitment to the SunOS compatibility?  Is
 > 100% compatibility a goal, or even possible?  When I try an executable and it
 > doesn't work, how can I get more information about what went wrong?  Do I have
 > any hope of fixing the problem or will that take a wizard?  Are any of these
 > problems likely to have been fixed already in the latest version?

Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939