Subject: Re: Kernel config - swap & root question
To: Paul Kranenburg <>
From: David Brownlee <>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/11/1995 23:05:03
On Sat, 11 Feb 1995, Paul Kranenburg wrote:

> > Should a swap generic kernel work?
> At the very least the GENERIC config file and `config swap generic' are
> not as generic as you'd want them to be. My advise is not to use them
> until they get fixed.
	Thanks :) - so if I want to change boot devices I need to make
	a new kernel (Or switch drive IDs :)?
> > 		Then tried the 'correct' 'root on sd1 swap on sd1' and now
> > 		it hangs after 'Found boot device sd1' with
> > 		'WARNING: preposterous time in filesystem'
> > 		'WARNING: clock lost 7851 days -- ...'
> This is not to be expected on a freshly newfs'ed filesystem. Did you run
> fsck after this or looked at the output of `dumpfs /dev/rsd10'? How did
> you label the disk?
	I partitioned it under SunOS Miniroot, then newfs'd under -current
	(root with -O), and it fsck'ed clean. Then did a 'make distribution'
	onto it, copied over a kernel & boot, then install_boot under
	miniroot & it fsck'ed clean again.

	Can mount & wander around it fine if I boot off another disk... (MIME).  Network Analyst  {post,host}master  abs.
              (>=-=<)   Telephone: (+44) 171 477 8186.   (>=-=<)
  Computing Services, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
      / Monochrome - biggest UK internet BBS - telnet \