Subject: Re: Sun4m support ( documentation )
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gordon Irlam <gordoni@home.base.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/01/1994 13:30:30
I know, it sucks, but the sun4m hardware spec is Sun proprietary.
You can only get it if you sign a non-disclosure agreement with Sun.
There is no sensible reason for this, but that is the way things are.
NetBSD can't sign such an agreement because the source is going to be
publically available.

Even if you could get the spec through some other means, you might
not want to.  I think the widespread deployment of *BSD was
significantly harmed by the legal uncertainty created by AT&T.  It seems
unlikely anyone in Sun might care what NetBSD does, and Sun isn't
really a very litigateous company, but you probably want to avoid any
legal uncertainty.  Simply having people claim the port was done
illegally could put some people off from using it.

Theo and Chris already have nearly all the non-proprietary information
they might want, and if they run into any problems can try asking Sun
for help.  The service ain't great, but it is available.

Anyone else who needs information should try contacting Sun's SPARC
Technology and Business Unit, and if that doesn't work try contacting
me.

                           Gordon.

                           [  Who has just gone on unpaid leave from
                              Sun so he can have fun hacking on the Web!

                              http://www.base.com/gordoni/gordoni.html  ]

--------