Subject: Issues with X11R6 native on NetBSD/sparc
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Sam C. Nicholson !! <scion@symtec.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/29/1994 16:51:12
Greetings,

Forgive me for throwing this out without through investigation on my part
to try and get a little parallelism.  The entire X11R6 build on my IPC with
12 MBytes RAM took just under 11 hours.  I wanted to get this out for
feedback whilst I was trying it again tonight with a few changes.

FYI timestamps on the entire make world.
Wed Sep 28 22:46:55 EDT 1994 begin
Thu Sep 29 09:30:03 EDT 1994 end

I am in the middle of bringing X11R6 up on an IPC with a cg6 running
the August 10 snapshots of 1.0_beta.

I applied fixes 1-4 then the patch supplied by Greg Earle.
Then, I put in his suggestions in site.cf and NetBSD.cf, like this:

site.def:
/* After vendor.cf */
#define InstallXdmConfig
#define InstallXinitConfig

NetBSD.cf

#define HasGccForCplusplus YES

Then I added the change to bsdLib.tmpl

#define SharedXmuReqs $(LDPRELIB) $(XTOOLONLYLIB) $(XONLYLIB)
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^

I get a few errors which prevent total joy, most things seem to make cleanly.
Some problems (2&3) are fatal, some are warnings which I have
successfully ignored before.

1. warning making imake right off the bat.

    imake.c: In function `LogFatal':
    imake.c:513: warning: type mismatch with previous external decl
    /usr/include/stdio.h:236: warning: previous external decl of `sys_errlist'

2. Makefiles in programs/xdm/config and programs/xinit are broken

    making all in programs/xdm/config...
    "Makefile", line 5: Need an operator

    making all in programs/xinit...
    "Makefile", line 5: Need an operator

3. cannot find Wraphelp.c when depending in lib/X11

    ../../config/makedepend/makedepend: warning:  cannot open "Wraphelp.c"
    depending in lib/X11...
    make: don't know how to make ../../lib/Xdmcp/Wraphelp.c (continuing)
    `depend' not remade because of errors.

This prevents libX11 from loading into a library and thus no compiles which
need -lX11 will link.

4. a number of times the call to select warns as so:

    XlibInt.c: In function `_XWaitForWritable':
    XlibInt.c:252: warning: passing arg 2 of `select' from incompatible pointer type
    XlibInt.c:252: warning: passing arg 3 of `select' from incompatible pointer type

5. a smaller number of the old faithful:

    lcWrap.c: In function `_XlcCopyFromArg':
    lcWrap.c:466: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

6. a couple of variable range errors:

    XSync.c: In function `XSyncInitialize':
    XSync.c:262: warning: comparison is always 1 due to limited range of data type

At the end, libXdcmp, libsun and libX11 do not get made, thus no execuatble
( save a few utils) does either.

I am going to ad an argument of YES to the #defines in site.cf to see if
that brings joy to xdm/config and xinit's Makefile.

Then I am going to add fix-05, though nothing in the header indicates
it will help these particulars.

-sam