Subject: Re: floppy driver?
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Francis Dupont <Francis.Dupont@inria.fr>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/05/1994 17:33:46
 In your previous mail you wrote:

      Please don't say "unnecessary" ... my home machine (a clone
      SS-1/IPC hybrid) has an Intel 82077-based floppy ... (it works with
      the patched fd.o that comes in the patches area on the SunOS 4.1.3
      CD-ROMs)

   My impression was that the 82072 and 82077 are basically the same,
   except that the 82077 does perpendicular recording, and requires more
   anality in initializing it.

   It should be easy to make a driver work with both.

=> I have just opened an ELC and a SS1+. The ELC has no FDC, the SS1+
has an Intel 82072, then I believe we need a driver for both 82072 and 82077.
I have done a very minimal driver implementing only the floppy useful
function eject (it is a joke, not a floppy bashing). It should work
on any host and it avoids the horrible "not configured" message at boot time.
I'd like to write a real driver but I've got only the Intel 8272A doc
(it is the same kind of chip but it is a bit old)...

Francis.Dupont@inria.fr