Subject: Re: X11 for netbsd-sparc
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: - Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/08/1994 05:27:36
>>On the other hand, Sun's xnews server used to mess up things thoroughly, in
>>my case by fouling the le0 driver causing an endless stream of
>>
>>"RINT: no buffer" messages.
>
>This is a bug in the VM/PMAP code.
>Anyway, once you fix that, you will find that xnews demands a /dev/win0 driver
>(!).  I am not sure how much it wants from it.

Remember that xnews depends on libsunwindow for its (default) keyboard and
mouse handling (yes, sportsfans, you always wondered how you could run those
SunView binaries and have the keyboard translations not mess each other up).

You can, of course, tell xnews to not do this via the "-nosunview" option to
"openwin"; it then uses stuff from the .../modules directory to handle the
input.  However, that still doesn't remove the shlib dependancy on libsunwindow
so I don't know if this avoids the problem or not.  The other problem is that
using "-nosunview" means that it modloads the 2 replacement kernel drivers,
which I'm sure NetBSD wouldn't be too happy with ...

Perhaps I could ask my own X11-vs.-NetBSD/SPARC question here:  I too, like
Joel Isaacson, can't get my Sun-compiled X11 to run.  However, unlike him, my
server doesn't crash; in fact, it comes up just fine.  The only problem is, it
doesn't do anything to the console screen!  Running under "ktrace", it shows
that the server is running; I can connect to it, do "xdpyinfo", etc.  and that
all works.  But it never puts up the root weave or anything else on the console
itself.  Most peculiar.  I have an IPC with a CG3, a /dev/cgthree0 and /dev/fb
to boot.  The kdump shows /dev/cgthree0 is being opened successfully, as well.
I'm really puzzled that nothing happens screen-wise.  Does this ring any bells?
(If it matters, Xsun was compiled on a 4.1.3 system using gcc 2.5.7.)

	- Greg