Subject: Successfull install
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Arne H Juul <arnej@dsl.unit.no>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/08/1994 04:03:48
I've just tried installing the snapshot for NetBSD/sparc
on an ELC (this is just an experiment - I will probably have to
reinstall SunOS again tomorrow, but them's the breaks).
I must say, I am very much impressed. Kudos to all involved, especially Theo!

The README file was very straightforward. The only thing that wasn't
clear was if it was possible to use some other partition than 'a'
for booting - it wasn't (no big deal). Like predicted, I got a
non-world-writable /tmp directory. Probably the install.sh script
should use "tar xvpf" and/or have a "umask 0" somewhere.

After installing the basic system, I made (of course) my mistake.
This was when I tried using /dev/sd0g as my root partition, remember.
So I bootet - but multi-user. The result showed a great deal of
binary compatibility with SunOS: There were some errors but a lot
of the SunOS daemons and programs worked just fine, including
the X server (for a minute I thought I was hallucinating and that
it was actually running SunOS anyway). I was *very* impressed.

Anyway, now the machine is up and running in a more 'standard'
netbsd environment (this means that almost no SunOS binaries work,
alas). I've compiled bash and perl, meaning I can actually do
things. I've also recompiled the kernel with the updated sources
from today, where there was a small bug in the trap.c file, it
uses the unknown variable 'systab'. I guessed this should really
be 'callp', but this is just a wild guess - at least it compiles
and boots, so it is hopefully not too far off. Please tell me
if it's wrong - I'd like to try this out now, since (as mentioned)
I won't be running it for long.

Gratefully yours,

   - Arne H. Juul

*** /supmirror/src/sys/arch/sparc/sparc/trap.c	Mon Apr  4 12:34:51 1994
--- /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/sparc/trap.c	Fri Apr  8 03:35:51 1994
***************
*** 761,767 ****
  		nap--;
  		break;