Subject: Re: The 11th NetBSD/SPARC machine [Long]
To: Theo Deraadt <owner-port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Chief Anarchic Officer <greywolf@autodesk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/28/1994 11:22:45
I guess that would make my entry the twelfth NetBSD/SPARC machine (for
what that's worth).  Actually, it's the 11-and-a-halfth as, after having
loaded the binaries, it never makes it past the boot process into even
single-user mode.

It's an ELC with boot PROM revision 2.4 (I think -- I know it's 2.something,
for $something > 2) and 24 MB RAM.

It comes up finding all the interrupts and such, but it produces an interesting
message:

note:  49 pages lost in translation.

I have three targets attached to the machine:
        A disk at target 0 (sd3 in sunspek)
        A tape at target 4
        A CD at target 6

It goes through all the devices but then complains:

Cannot attach target 0 (or something like that -- it's been a few days)
Cannot attach target 4
Cannot attach target 6
panic: mountroot() cannot mount root
Rebooting...

Now, I *know* we don't have st or sr drivers yet, but I thought we at least
had something to drive an sd (otherwise, we're all diskless and I'm not
convinced we can do that yet, either, but then I haven't tried :-)).

Is there something else I need to do?   *Please* don't tell me I need
to swap scsi IDs because I can't do that with this particular machine
(for all intents and purposes, except for the mono frame buffer and the
slightly lower clock speed (NetBSD sez 20MHz, I think it's 33MHz), it's
basically an IPX (the PROM behaves the same and the memory addressing
is the same, I think)).

Oh, time for a *real* (probably) stupid question:  If I define things
right, can I compile with gcc-2.5.8 and have it work, or do I have to be
able to build gcc under BSD to get it working?  I'm trying to build under
SunOS and migrate over.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Make a hacker happy.  Use a *real* OS.
--

 ________ _____ ____  ________ _____WHO: Greywolf (my nameplate even says so)
/ ___\ _ \ __\ V / \  / /__ \| | __/WHAT: UNIX System Mangler...er, Admin