Subject: Building without /usr/share, part 2
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: - Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/27/1994 15:47:45
OK, so I decided to press onwards.

(Again, for the benefit of NetBSD/SPARC newbies:)

 cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install
 cd /usr/src/include; make && make install

No problems.

 cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make; make obj && make && make install && make clean

I fixed my earlier problem with the SunOS libc.so getting in the way, but now
this "make" gags because it tries to create the man page, and all the support
stuff for "groff" isn't in /usr/share:

netbsd4me:10 # cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make ; make
nroff -mandoc make.1 > make.0
groff: can't find `DESC' file
groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Eventually, I found that I could only make "groff" and friends happy if I had
a reasonably populated /usr/share/{tmac,groff_font}, at least to this extent:

netbsd4me:135 # ls -R /usr/share/tmac /usr/share/groff_font
/usr/share/groff_font:
devascii/

/usr/share/groff_font/devascii:
B       BI      DESC    I       R

/usr/share/tmac:
eqnrc                   tmac.doc-common         tmac.psnew
hyphen.us               tmac.doc-ditroff        tmac.psold
man.local               tmac.doc-nroff          tmac.pspic
tmac.X                  tmac.doc-syms           tmac.s
tmac.Xps                tmac.dvi                tmac.tty
tmac.an                 tmac.latin1             tmac.tty-char
tmac.an.old             tmac.pic                troffrc
tmac.andoc              tmac.ps
tmac.doc                tmac.psatk

I think I got here via "make install" in /usr/src/share/tmac,
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/devices/devascii and /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/tmac.

(The tmac.tty-char and hyphen.us were picked up separately from other places.)

After this, we're off and rolling!  Well into the libc build already ... yay!

Time to go outside ... it's a beautiful day out, after all :-)

	- Greg