Subject: Re: A real app runs on NetBSD/sparc
To: None <Peter.Galbavy@micromuse.co.uk, rminnich@hagar>
From: None <ian@sq.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/05/1994 12:30:35
"rminnich@hagar" probably won't see this, as hagar is kinda unqualified as
far as domain names go...

> Add framemaker 3.0X to the list of products which run just fine under
> compatbility mode in NetBSD. Boy, now I'm really impressed. The best part
> is, Sun's Solaris "compatibility mode" (what a joke) won't run
> SunOS-based frame all!

Actually, it will, in Solaris 2.3.  And as you can probably go figure,
getting an exact clone of BSD UNIX starting with most of it working is a bit
easier than writing a complete emulation under a totally different
UNIX kernel.  Solaris is not as bad as you seem to think. But if NetBSD
meets your needs, great.  That's what freedom of choice in software is
all about. As for me, I run two, soon to be three, different OSes on
my IPX: SunOS4, Solaris 2.3, and (soon) NetBSD.