Subject: Re: Some oberservations
To: Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@descartes.super.org>
From: Dirk Steinberg <steinber@machtnix.ert.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/09/1994 14:05:42

    >> 2) Trying to telnet into the system fails and just sits there.
    Ronald> I had this too, make sure that your ptys are major 20 and
    Ronald> you ttyp* style files are major 21, just the opposite of
    Ronald> sunos it happens.  (thanks tdr for this fix).

Then I would strongly suggest to fix this in the kernel, and not in
the /dev directory. I don't have a spare disk to install netbsd on, so
I must use a shared filesystem for both SunOS and NetBSD. So far I
have only installed (well, just copied to the root dir) a netbsd
kernel and booted it. It came up allright, but I couldn't do much with
it (I only have SunOS/GNU binaries right now).

I got the system up multi-user and was able to login with the bourne
shell. Zsh and bash failed (I couldn't type), I guess because of some
termios stuff.

Ping works.

Incoming and outgoing telnet didn't work, probably because of the
major number conflict.

Any ideas on setting up a shared netbsd/SunOS filesystem?

Great work!

	Dirk

Dirk W. Steinberg - RWTH Aachen - Internet email: steinber@ert.rwth-aachen.de
Aachen University of Technology / IS2-Integrated Systems in Signal Processing
Rhein.Westf.Tech.Hochsch. Aachen / Integrierte Systeme der Signalverarbeitung
Templergraben 55 / D-52056 Aachen / phone:+49 241 807879 / fax:+49 241 807631
Home address: Kleikstr. 63, D-52134 Herzogenrath,Germany/phone: +49 2406 7225