Subject: Re: Some oberservations
To: None <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/08/1994 21:14:00

> First thanks to Theo and Paul for the visible work and Chris Torek
> for his work and everyone else involved.

Especially to Chris who did the hard stuff and to Theo for making it all run
under NetBSD.

> 1) ps just sites there and doesn't work. Is this just me ?

I see all the processes but only with their "kernel" name, no argv[] is
visible. Somewhere down the line reading of /dev/mem fails.

> 2) Trying to telnet into the system fails and just sits there.
>    I have no idea what is broke, and have recompiled telnetd and
>    reinstalled. Same for rlogin, but ftp works fine.

There was a similar report yesterday and it turned out to be caused by the
pty nodes in /dev having the wrong major device numbers.

> 3) shared libs are not there - I guess there is a good reason for
>    this. Of course I tried making/using them, and they failed. Any
>    idea (Paul) when this will be "fixed". Not trying to hassle -
>    honest.

The assembler needs more work for this. I'm looking into it. Unfortunately,
sparc's relocation structures are sufficiently different from anything else
to make this a somewhat tiresome adventure...

-pk