Subject: Re: Some oberservations
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/08/1994 20:33:46
> > First thanks to Theo and Paul for the visible work and Chris Torek
> > for his work and everyone else involved.
> >
> Especially to Chris who did the hard stuff and to Theo for making it all run
> under NetBSD.

Sorry - How could I not mantion cgd ? mea culpa.

> > 1) ps just sites there and doesn't work. Is this just me ?
> >
> I see all the processes but only with their "kernel" name, no argv[] is
> visible. Somewhere down the line reading of /dev/mem fails.

I get a reponse from "ps" 1 time in 2 and never from "ps ax". strange.

> > 2) Trying to telnet into the system fails and just sits there.
> >    I have no idea what is broke, and have recompiled telnetd and
> >    reinstalled. Same for rlogin, but ftp works fine.
> >
> There was a similar report yesterday and it turned out to be caused by the
> pty nodes in /dev having the wrong major device numbers.

Absolutly right. A quck rebuild of /dev/pty* /dev/ttyp* and I am logged
in. Thanks.

> The assembler needs more work for this. I'm looking into it. Unfortunately,
> sparc's relocation structures are sufficiently different from anything else
> to make this a somewhat tiresome adventure...

Better you than me... at least from my perspective :->

--
Peter Galbavy				e-mail: P.Galbavy@wonderland.org
Wonderland				  work: P.Galbavy@micromuse.co.uk

	  "And you will know exactly who you are, forever,
		by knowing what it is that you love."