Subject: Some oberservations
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/08/1994 19:41:51
I have the sparc port up and running on an OPUS Sparcard, which is
basically a SparcStation 1+ on a PC card, and it has a cgthree
compatible video card (it acts as a pass thought VGA card when
running in "shared mode").

I am running the PC as a power suply and cabinet.

I have only seen one panic, and I have basically recompiled the
whole thing (until I ran out of space in /usr/obj - this has been
fixed, and I a going to start it off again soon).

First thanks to Theo and Paul for the visible work and Chris Torek
for his work and everyone else involved.

Now for the "bugs":

1) ps just sites there and doesn't work. Is this just me ?

2) Trying to telnet into the system fails and just sits there.
   I have no idea what is broke, and have recompiled telnetd and
   reinstalled. Same for rlogin, but ftp works fine.

3) shared libs are not there - I guess there is a good reason for
   this. Of course I tried making/using them, and they failed. Any
   idea (Paul) when this will be "fixed". Not trying to hassle -
   honest.

4) The autoconf stuff matches thing by openprom name. This is fine
   I think for traditional hardware, but what about all the newer
   cards that have the vendor name attached (like "SUNW,cgsix0" or
   in my case "OPUS,vgthree") ? Or have I missed the way the
   openprom interacts with the kernel ?

   I know that my video card work exactly like a cgthree in the
   mode it is set to... openwin and X11R5 under SunOS are happy.
   So is there any quick way I can get it to alias this name to
   cgthree ?

5) As you may see from the dmesg output below, I have another hard
   disk waiting to go, and I would like to try using "disklabel"
   rather than SunOS format to achieve this. I guess that the SCSI
   stuff still does sector sparing ? Would it be too much to ask
   for the boot time config to output the cyl/head/sector info like
   the i386 port ? I think this is just another printf in sdattach
   ? Disklabel on my 486 picked up the geometry from an unlabelled
   disk but the sparc version does not - or is this a feature of
   the i386 port ?

(5) above is prbably a load of sh*t BTW - just rambling about what I
have seen.

Again, I am really amazed by NetBSD/sparc and I thank you all again,
--
Peter Galbavy				e-mail: P.Galbavy@wonderland.org
Wonderland				  work: P.Galbavy@micromuse.co.uk

	  "And you will know exactly who you are, forever,
		by knowing what it is that you love."

BTW - here's my "dmesg: output
---
note: lost 3 pages in translation
Copyright (c) 1982,1986,1989,1991 The Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved.

NetBSD 0.9a (HUMPTY) #0: Sun Feb  6 14:15:29 MET 1994
  peter@humpty.wonderland.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/HUMPTY
real mem = 33488896
avail mem = 29995008
using 408 buffers containing 1671168 bytes of memory
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: L64801 (MB86900/1A or L64801 @ 20 MHz, L64804 FPU)
cpu0: 65536 byte write-through, 16 bytes/line, sw flush cache enabled
memreg0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf4000000
clock0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf2000000: mk48t02 (eeprom)
timer0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf3000000
zs0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf1000000 pri 12, softpri 6
zs1 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf0000000 pri 12, softpri 6
fd at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7200000 not configured
audio0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7201000 pri 13, softpri 4
sbus0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf8000000: clock = 20 MHz
dma0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x400000: rev 1
esp0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x800000 pri 3: ESP100A, clock = 20 MHz, ID = 7
tg1 at esp0 target 1
sd1 at tg1 unit 0: FUJITSU M2624S-512 0303, 1018668 512 byte blocks
sd1: <fM-j^H>
sd1: sun_disklabel fails
tg0 at esp0 target 3
sd0 at tg0 unit 0: CONNER CP30200  SUN0207 4234, 416108 512 byte blocks
sd0: <SUN0207 cyl 1254 alt 2 hd 9 sec 36>
le0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0xc00000 pri 5: hardware address 00:80:f1:01:78:2a
OPUS,vgthree at sbus0 slot 2 offset 0x0 not configured
auxreg0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7400000
Found boot device sd0
---