Subject: Re: sparc todo list
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@super.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/29/1993 16:32:54
> Something to note here: SPARC is nowhere near as nice as Intel in terms
> of system architecture compatibility.  They define "kernel
> architectures" that are essentially completely different machines:

and, i should note, the sun4ms are handled differently depending on ross,
cypress, ti, etc. You can check this out on any binary distribution of
sunos/solaris sun4m kernel. hence my question: can netbsd succeed where
sun did not? I am afraid arch/sparc may be a little limiting in the way
the tree is set up. I would feel better with arch/sun4c.

on a different note, hope nobody is using the 'swap' instruction in the
kernel code. have not looked yet. It's a gotcha as it will appear to work
on many V8 implementations.

ron