Subject: Re: committing NetBSD/sh3 code
To: <port-sh3@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-sh3
Date: 09/14/1999 06:23:57
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >	There are various variants in Hitachi SH-3/4 family, so it is better
> >	be prepared.
>
> Sure. No argument on separating CPU support and system support.
> I thought Simon was asking how different the mmeye and the evbsh3
> were: do they need separate ports and separate kernels, or
> could/should we aim for one kernel that boots on both?

Correct - I was thinking along the lines of how, for example, a
DECstation 3100 and a DECsystem 5000/260 don't share much but the CPU
manufacturer.  There's probably similar differences between the old
TurboChannel Alphas and the new PCI-based ones, and perhaps Sun3 and
Sun3x (given how long they were separated for).  More the separate ports
thang than the separate kernel thang, but you get the idea.

Simon.